Friday, October 9, 2015

Diversity in TV is winning!

This week I chose to talk about how diversity in TV is becoming much more widely expressed, talked about, and acted on. Stars from the show Orange is the New Black went to a panel about diversity and talked about the recent popularity of it in television, especially with Netflix shows. They stated the reason it is so popular with Netflix shows is because they don't have to worry about advertising so they can "do whatever they want." 

How do you feel about this change? Do watch any of these Netflix shows where diversity is celebrated?

You can find more information on the article here!


2 comments:

  1. Hi Abbey!

    I feel like this change is actually awesome. I think it's great that Netflix is taking that risk to just give people more shows with multicultural casts or LGBT characters. If no one else will, then why can't they? Good for them for actually going through with it. I just started watching Orange Is the New Black and LOVE it! I think it's great to be able to have shows showing what it's like to be in the multicultural or LGBT community. What do you think if this idea?

    Devin Frachalla

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you wrote about this! I have noticed a lot of change with this too. I think the multicultural and LGBT communities have become more widely accepted in society. Good point about Netflix; I also think that shows like this might be popular on Netflix because you have to make a point to watch them. Its up to the viewers obviously to watch which shows they want, and many people choose to watch show that feature more diversity.

    ReplyDelete